About 64% of consumers prefer texting to voice conversations, emails, and direct mail. Text messages are quite popular. However, they are typically sent through cellular networks, but some people might have a question in their mind about how to send texts over WiFi. The answer to it is that it is possible to send texts over WiFi depending on what type of mobile phone you own and the cellular network operator you use. Text messages are usually sent between phones using a mobile network.
This technology raises certain privacy issues, and WiFi messaging is generally more secure as it is end-to-end encrypted. Using WiFi for messaging allows you to save data, call international numbers for free, and text or call from any place with a WiFi connection.
Table of Contents
Understanding Text Messaging Over WiFi
SMS is the traditional way of texting messages that are mostly used worldwide. SMS mainly uses a regular cellular connection to transfer data. Most of the time, SMS messages can be sent without an internet connection, which is one of the reasons why SMS messages can simply convey text.
The message is sent from the sender device to the closest cell tower when you send an SMS. The SMS center (SMSC) receives the message from that mobile tower. The SMSC will then deliver the SMS message to a cell tower close to the recipient device. The tower then transmits the message to the recipient’s smartphone.
When it comes to WiFi texting, it allows you to send texts over WiFi. To do WiFi texting, you must sign up with an SMS service provider like Messente. To ensure that your texts are delivered to your receivers, your service provider establishes connections with the appropriate mobile network carriers.
Your text will be received through a cell network even though it will be transmitted over the internet. To view your message, your recipients would not necessarily require a WiFi connection. There are several advantages of WiFi texting over cellular network messaging which are as follows:
- It offers faster and more reliable message delivery
- You can avail of cost savings on cellular data charges
- It renders enhanced privacy and security
Setting Up WiFi Texting on Your Smartphone
For setting up WiFi texting on your smartphone, you have to check the device compatibility. You can use iPhones and Android phones to do WiFi texting as both devices are compatible with it. Check out in detail below how to enable WiFi calling/texting on iPhones and Android phones.
Enabling WiFi Calling/Texting on iPhones
You would need to go to the iMessage app on your iPhone to enable WiFi calling/texting. Only Apple devices are compatible with this software. On your iOS device, the standard Message app includes iMessage as well. To use the SMS service, you must have a SIM card with a phone number and a cellular network subscription.
Through the SMS service, you can text non-Apple users. It does not matter if they use Apple products in this case. Your cellular network service provider will charge you for sending SMS texts.
Enabling WiFi Calling/Texting on Android Devices
You must ensure that both your phone and your carrier are compatible with the feature to send an SMS over WiFi on an Android device. Almost all contemporary mobile models have this feature. You are fine to go if both your mobile and cellular network providers render this feature. Certain things need to be made sure to send free WiFi texts on an Android device which are as follows:
- WiFi network is active on your phone.
- The text’s recipient is also connected to a WiFi network.
On your Android device, go to “Settings” and choose “Wireless & Networks” to enable WiFi texting. After tapping on the WiFi network you want to use, change the setting next to “Text Messages (SMS)” to “On”.
Popular Apps for WiFi Texting
The brilliance of third-party text messaging apps is lost if you only use the pre-installed Android and iOS apps. With the help of WiFi texting applications, you can share voice notes, text, images, MMS, payments, video calls, and much more. Below you can see the best three WiFi texting apps for Android phones and iPhones that help you stay in touch for free with people across the world.
Just download and install WhatsApp on your Android phone, enter the details as instructed, and then you are ready to use. It is a free WiFi texting app that operates on any type of Internet connection such as 4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi when it is available. It is a very reliable application for sharing images, videos, and other content over WiFi. All chats are encrypted.
Setting up Telegram is also very easy and you can use it for texting over WiFi. Telegram is the best choice for one who is looking for a quick, secure, reliable, and cloud-based WiFi messaging application. All you need to follow the steps as instructed in the app after downloading and installing the application.
Facebook Messenger is also one of the free WiFi chat applications that let you call, text, and share multimedia files as you do on WhatsApp. If you already have a Facebook account, all you want to download and install Facebook Messenger, log in to your account, and you are ready to enjoy free WiFi texting.
Troubleshooting WiFi Texting Issues
Try the options below if you are having problems connecting to Messages on the web, sending or receiving messages, or both.
Solutions for Problems to Connect to Messages Over WiFi
- Turn your Wi-Fi off and on again on your phone.
- Check that your phone and PC are both connected to the internet and have a strong signal.
- If you are experiencing connectivity troubles, restart your phone.
- Check if the Messaging app’s background data is enabled on your phone. Go to the settings section of your smartphone. Click Network and Internet, then Data Usage, and finally Mobile data usage. Scroll down to discover the Messaging app. Turn on Background data under Messages.
- If you have a VPN, switch it off and reconnect.
- Turn off your Chrome extensions one by one if you are using it. Sometimes, messages for the web may be blocked by some extensions.
- Turn off battery optimization if it is enabled. Device settings can differ.
- Check to see whether you have been disconnected from the web page.
- If you recently reset or moved to a new phone, unpair Messages for the Web before proceeding with the instructions below to pair your new phone to Messages for Web.
Check WiFi Connectivity
- Check whether there is a nearby wireless access point (AP) or router that is actively providing Wi-Fi service.
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi adaptor on your phone is turned on.
- Ensure that the SSID and IP address on your Android client are active. Go back to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi panel on your Android device and select Wi-Fi Settings.
- Use Ping to check network connectivity after your Android Wi-Fi client has a legitimate IP address.
Lastly, you have to ensure whether message app settings are configured correctly or not to troubleshoot the WiFi texting issues.
Security and Privacy Considerations
It is vital to understand that your WiFi network extends beyond the boundaries of your office or home. It is possible for the network to reach heights of more than 300 feet. Your wireless access point can be accessed by people from surrounding buildings, offices, and other businesses if it is not properly secured. There are certain tips to protect your privacy when sending texts over WiFi which you can see below.
- Encrypt your WiFi network
- Change the default passwords on your router.
- Updating the Firmware on Your Router
- Turn off the WPS and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) functions.
- Establish a guest network.
- Log out being an administrator.
- Hide Your WiFi Network Name
Other Ways to Send Texts Over WiFi
Have a look at other ways to send texts over WiFi right below.
- Web-based Messaging Platforms
Using web-based messaging platforms is one of the best ways to chat over WiFi without the need to download or install apps. It operates purely in your web browser. Some of the workspaces do not allow the employees to install various messengers. At that time, you can take the benefit of these platforms.
- Email-to-SMS Gateways
Email-to-SMS gateways operate by converting the email text into an SMS or MMS message format. The message will be delivered to the intended audience in the same manner as a phone call would. The message is effectively forwarded to a recipient’s phone by the gateway. There is a 160-character limit for SMS text messages. A message will be divided into multiple text messages if it exceeds 160 characters.
The major reasons for sending text messages over WiFi are poor phone reception, privacy issues, and costly mobile plan rates. The best solutions to how to send texts over WiFi are, of course, WiFi texting or using a third-party application with a business package, like Viber or WhatsApp. For this, your viewers must first download the app to their smartphone.
These methods make use of SMS technology and send messages across carrier networks directly to the native messaging app of your recipients. As mentioned above, you can even use web-based messaging platforms or email-to-SMS gateways for chatting over WiFi without the need of downloading or installing the applications.
You May Love TO Read Also: