Table of Contents
There are five methods for connecting to the internet on a laptop without wifi. They are Ethernet, Hotspot, Tethering, Modem, and Sim card. Ethernet cable is inexpensive and simple to use. Mobile hotspots or USB tethering are good for temporary solutions. You can also use A modem or direct sim card as a permanent solution. Let’s look over your alternatives and determine which one is best for you.
Ethernet cables are also called network cables or LAN cables. It connects devices to networks. Ethernet cables come in different types. The most common type is Category 5e (Cat 5e). Below are the steps to get internet on a laptop via an ethernet cable:
Find the Ethernet port:
First, find a small rectangular port on your laptop. It resembles a larger version of the port you plug a phone cable into (known as an RJ-45 port). You can find this port on the side or back of the laptop. The port might have a small icon depicting a series of connected dots or a network symbol.
Prepare the Ethernet cable:
Connect one end of the Ethernet wire to your laptop’s Ethernet port. Connectors should easily fit into ports without requiring excessive force. It should click or feel slightly resistant when fully inserted.
Connect the other end:
Connect the other end to an Ethernet outlet. You can also link it to a router if you have one. If you choose, you can connect the wire directly to your modem without needing a router. To ensure a secure connection, attach the cable firmly. Remember that you don’t always need a router to connect to the internet on your laptop.
Connect and Test the connection:
When to use Ethernet instead of WiFi?
- Always use the same spot for your laptop.
- The router is damaged and you don’t want to replace it.
- Do not use any other device that needs wifi.
- Prefer a more secure connection
- You need a stable and reliable internet connection to play online games, participate in video conferences, or stream high-definition videos.
All smartphones have mobile hotspots. So, you can create a Wi-Fi network with your phone’s network. Let’s discuss how to use the hotspot to get internet on a laptop without wifi:
Enable the mobile hotspot on your smartphone:
Turn down the notification panel of your smartphone. And then look for the “Hotspot” or “Tethering” option. Enable the mobile hotspot feature. In some phones, they are named “Mobile Hotspot,” and “Personal Hotspot”. Now set a strong password for hotspot protection.
Turn on Wi-Fi on your laptop:
You must enable Wi-Fi on your laptop. In the taskbar or system tray of most laptops, there is generally a Wi-Fi icon. To enable it, click on the icon.
Connect to the mobile hotspot:
On your laptop, you can view a list of available Wi-Fi networks. Locate the SSID (network name) of the hotspot on your smartphone. It might have a name like “AndroidAP,” “iPhone,” or a customized name you set for your hotspot. Click on the name of the hotspot to connect to it.
When to use a hotspot instead of WiFi?
- Need internet in a laptop for a temporary solution.
- Home Wifi is having trouble and needs an internet emergency.
- No public wifi is available outside.
USB tethering enables sharing of a phone’s data connection with a laptop. If you turn on a USB connection, your phone can act as a modem. Using USB Tethering, a laptop can connect to the internet even if it doesn’t have WiFi. Here’s how to do it:
- The first step is to connect your smartphone to your laptop using a USB cord.
- Then, under the settings menu, select Network & Internet/Wireless & Networks.
- Afterward, click “Tethering” or “Hotspot & Tethering”.
- Make sure USB tethering is enabled. This will activate the USB connection.
- Please wait a few seconds for your laptop to respond. The laptop will automatically detect USB tethering.
You may need to manually configure the network settings on your laptop if the connection does not establish automatically.
When to use USB Tethering instead of WiFi?
- Your laptop’s wifi is not working
- Your phone does not support hotspots or has hotspot difficulties.
- When you are traveling or in a remote location.
Portable or USB Modem
A modem is an Internet-connected device that links your computer to the Internet. You just have to connect the USB modem to the laptop to connect to the internet. And a portable modem does not need physical contact with the laptop to get wifi. Let’s discuss how to use USB Modem to get internet on a laptop without wifi:
Insert the modem:
Plug the portable or USB modem into an available USB port on your laptop. Make sure the modem is securely connected.
Install any required software:
Some portable or USB modems may require the installation of specific software or drivers. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to install the modem’s software.
Activate the modem:
If required, activate the modem after connecting and installing the required software. ISPs typically provide modems that accept SIM cards with active data plans.
A mobile hotspot or pocket Wi-Fi is another name for a portable modem. Let’s look at how to connect your laptop to the internet using a portable modem.
Power On The Portable Modem
Ensure that the portable modem has sufficient battery charge or is connected to a power source. Power it on using the designated power button or switch.
Enable Wi-Fi On The Portable Modem
Most portable modems have a Wi-Fi-on button. Then you need to access the modem’s interface via a web browser or a dedicated app to enable Wi-Fi and configure its settings.
Connect Your Laptop To The Portable Modem’s Wi-Fi Network:
On your laptop, open the list of available Wi-Fi networks. Locate the network name (SSID) of your portable modem, which should be visible. Enter the password for the network you selected if prompted.
Mobile data plans are typically required for modems. Ensure you have sufficient data allowance or a credit on your data plan to avoid additional charges.
When to use a Portable or USB Modem instead of WiFi?
- Work in an area without broadband access.
- Always have to move from place to place.
- No public wifi is available where you need to work.
- Data plans need to be flexible.
- Need a permanent Alternative.
Depending on the model and configuration, several laptops do support SIM cards. These laptops are commonly known as “LTE-enabled” or “4G-enabled” laptops. There are slots or trays for SIM cards on those laptops. Let’s discuss how to use a SIM to get the internet on a laptop.
- Ensure that your laptop has a SIM card slot or supports an external SIM card adapter.
- Put in your cellular network SIM card.
- Activate your SIM card and buy a data plan.
- Turn on mobile broadband or cellular settings on your laptop.
- Set up the network settings, including the APN (Access Point Name).
- Open a web browser to get online
Here are some laptops that support direct SIM Card:
When to use SIM instead of WiFi?
- Require a dedicated and reliable internet connection instead of sharing a Wi-Fi network.
- In areas with limited or no Wi-Fi access.
- While on the move, you need mobility and internet access.
- Prefer the flexibility of choosing and managing your data plan.
In conclusion, there are multiple methods to access the internet on a laptop without Wi-Fi. For temporary use, you can use a mobile hotspot and USB tethering. But if you have to use the internet on a laptop without a laptop permanently you can choose a modem, sim card, or ethernet cable.
You may Like TO Read Also: